This week I printed one minimug with a watertight base (but leaky walls), then another so watertight that I could fill it to around 80% before any leaking occurred, … and then my extruder pushed the heater barrel out , killing my extruder.
Here’s the first of those two minimugs:
Look at the bottom of this mug:
Then I checked to see if it could actually hold water:
Then I made another mug, this one was much better. JeffTry28:
Check it out! It actually held some water!!
Then I added even more.. As you can see, I got to around 80% full before it started leaking:
The next day I tried printing more mugs, none of which really came out well. This one looked like Eraserhead:
..and then tragically, in front of a bunch of witnesses, the extruder barrel pushed right out of the PTFE, ending the life of this extruder:
I haven’t yet taken it all apart to see how bad things are. I knew the PTFE would give way at some point.
I’ll post more details later. If the PTFE glued into my extruder isn’t ruined, I’ll try repairing it, but if I can’t, I may use this as an excuse to just buy the printed pieces to a Wade’s extruder from Tony or someone (I have all of the rest of the pieces in an unopened McMaster box).